Here will be places of interest connected with Thornton. By places we mean buildings like the Brontë Birthplace and Coffin End, structures like Thornton Viaduct, places like the Bell Chapel Churchyard and Eddie’s Corner, monuments, and other items of interest.
Patrick Brontë, his wife Maria and their two children, Maria and Elizabeth, moved to the parsonage at Thornton on the 15th May 1815, now numbered 72 to 74 Market Street. The literary sisters were born there, Charlotte in 1816, Emily Jane in 1818, and Anne Brontë in 1820, as well as their brother Patrick Branwell in 1817. Patrick was curate of what is jnow called the Brontë Bell Chapel. The family left in 1820 when the Rev. Patrick Brontë became the perpetual curate at Haworth. The Ground floor is now Emily’s, an Italian Coffee Bar and Delicatessen. (Updated February 18th, 2015)
It’s very easy not to see Thornton Viaduct, which is a magnificent structure. It’s viewable from Low Lane and Alderscholes Lane, but not from Thornton Road. Click on the Green heading above for full details. (Updated 9 March, 2017)
The War Memorial is accessible both from the main (western), and eastern, entrances to the Cemetery, on the internal road/pathway on the southern edge of the cemetery by the main Thornton Road. The memorial was erected by the people of Thornton and unveiled and dedicated on 30th September 1922. The memorial lists 142 Thornton men who were killed in the !st. World War, and 33 who were killed in the 2nd World War. In addition there are 17 men listed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission buried in Thornton Cemetery and 2 in the Bell Chapel churchyard. A list of those commemorated and a photograph are here. (Updated 9 March, 2017)