- Holds meetings, normally with speakers, on Wednesdays throughout the year at 2pm, normally at Thornton Community Centre, Market Street. All are welcome. Their programme of events is shown below, and is also included in the What’s On section of this website.
- Has an archive of photographs, drawings, maps, and research findings on the local history of Thornton The archive is viewable at South Square by arrangement, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Updated 31 August, 2018)
- Some individual members do research into different aspects of local history in Thornton and some present their findings at meetings of the Society.
- Hold a Local History Exhibition, normally on the last Saturday of June, at Thornton Methodist Church, from 11am to 4pm.
- A large model of the former Thornton Railway Station was on display at the 2016 exhibition. The photo shows part of the model.
Meetings from July to December 2018
July 4th Annual trip to Kingston upon Hull
July 11th Alan Stuttard…Waterwheel to Email.
July 18th John Lyte…Abide with me..part 2
July 25th John Clay – a brief history of Black Dyke Mills Band
August 1st Eugene Nicholson The story of Tino Valdi
August 8th / 15th / and 22nd Members’ “do it yourself” meetings.
August 31st. Bank Holiday week – no meeting
September 5th David Sibbald Dubbing in Hollywood Musicals
September 12th Autumn Trip
September 19th Michael Kirke My Eclectic Clientele
September 26th Christine Leveridge Paupers and Lunatics
October 3rd Roger Dedman 200 years of postboxes.
October 10th Hedley Smith Bradford Town Hall
October 17th Tracey Garczynski The Oddfellows
October 24th Marjorie Kirke A pocketful of tickets
October 31st Annual lunch
November 7th John Lite The Story of Briestfield, part 1
November 14th Eric Jackson Armistice 1918
November 21st Details of speaker not yet known
November 28th Tony Hillam Hiroshima
December 5th Trevor Moody Comedians of our Good Old Days part 2
December 12th Chris Helme Memories of Christmas Past
December 19th Christmas Party
December 26th Boxing Day – no meeting
(Last updated 1 July 2018)